Located in the City of Orange, New Jersey, Berkeley is a 105 year old premiere tennis venue. Berkeley members are proud of our luxurious clay court surface which served as a magnet for world famous players from the 1920's through the ‘60's. Among them were John Van Ryn, Weller Evans, Bill Tilden, William Donald McNeill, Jack Kramer, Dick Savitt, Pancho Segura, Althea Gibson, and Arthur Ashe. The late 1930s to mid-1950s can be considered the Championship Era of Berkeley.
During this period, Russell Kingman, used his influence to bring the New Jersey State Championships to BTC. This tournament would serve as a preliminary for the US Open. America’s best tennis players came to Berkeley to prepare for the New Jersey
Tournament and the United State Championships, at Forest Hills. Among these players were Jack Kramer, Bobby Riggs, Tony Trabert, Bill Talbert, Pancho Segura, Don McNeill, Vic Seixas, Frank Kovacs, Frank Guernsney, Hamilton Richardson, J. Edgar Palty, and Gardner Mulloy.
Through the earlier years, Berkeley served as home base to numerous New Jersey State Champions: Gerald Barrack, Bayonne, 1951; Pablo Eisenberg, Millburn, 1950; Ed Moylan,
Trenton, 1939; Dick Savitt, Orange, 1943; Alan Fleming, East Orange, 1937; and John Van Ryn, East Orange, 1923. Three former Berkeley members are in the National Hall of Fame,
Newport, Rhode Island: John VanRyn, Don McNeill, and Dick Savitt. McNeill had been French singles and doubles champion in 1939. He was United States singles and doubles champion in 1940 and 1944 and doubles finalist in 1946. In 1939, McNeill followed Don Budge as winner of the French championships and was one of only seven Americans to have won
that event. From 1951-1959, Dick Savitt, of Orange, a member of Berkeley Tennis Club, held USTA rankings from No. 2 to No. 6. He captured a Wimbledon Title and the Australian Open, in 1951.
Today, Berkeley continues its tradition of providing the best in clay court tennis to players of all levels of accomplishment and interest.